About Us

Bible & ScrollFrom its beginning in France in 1842, the congregation of Notre Dame de Sion quickly spread to Turkey, Jerusalem, England, Romania, Costa Rica, Egypt, Tunisia, Italy, Brazil, Austria, Australia and Hungary. At the invitation of the Dominican Fathers, the sisters of Sion arrived in North America in 1892 to Lewiston Maine, and also later to Auburn and Brunswick, Maine. They opened thriving schools and had religious instruction for hundreds of children and adults, mostly French Canadians in Maine. However, since the Dominicans had not sent teachers for the boys, they left Maine with 60 young sisters who had entered in the 12 years. They went in 1904 to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, a northern trading post and Louisville, Kentucky as well as other missions as far away as Brazil and Australia.

Soon after the foundation of a school in Prince Albert, the sisters expanded to Saskatoon and Moose jaw establishing schools. The sisters in the United States stayed temporarily in Louisville, Kentucky, then Marshall, Missouri and finally settled in Kansas City, Missouri in 1912. Notre Dame de Sion school, now under lay ownership with the Sisters involved with Sion’s charism, celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2012.

In subsequent years, the schools in Prince Albert, Saskatoon and Moose Jaw closed. Today, there are Sion communities in Saskatoon and Edmonton in the West. Starting in 1947, Sion began moving eastward to Montreal, founding a Jewish Christian Center and Ecole Notre Dame de Sion School in 1963 in St. Laurent, Quebec. In 1958, Sion was in Winnipeg in schools and later at Rossbrook House, in 1964, Sion went to Toronto for studies and Jewish- Christian relations. There are Sion communities in these three cities today. Also in the United States , there is a 20 year foundation in Chicago, and Sion moved eastward to Brooklyn, New York, Boston, St. Paul, Minnesota, Fairfield, Maine and South Orange, New Jersey.